New Paper: Applying the ecosystem services concept to aquaculture
Jenny Weitzman, of the Carrying Capacity research module, has recently published a paper titled Applying the ecosystem services concept to aquaculture: A review of approaches, definitions, and uses in Ecosystem Services. Her work reviews the current state of knowledge on aquaculture ecosystem services (ES) and – based on this extensive review – proposes a research agenda for aquaculture ES moving forward.
The paper can be found here
- Recent surge in academic interest to study ecosystem services in aquaculture systems.
- Study motivations include informing development, decision-making, and conservation.
- Immature research field and inconsistent use of ES concepts to study aquaculture.
- Poor coverage of aquaculture systems, ecosystem services and values, and approaches.
- Need for consistent and comparable ES measures under an aquaculture lens.